Oct 29, 2008

Fabric baskets


I made this little basket today. I think it is rather cute. And I like the way the little handles hold your scissors. I just sewed bits of fabric together, to make my blocks. then squared them up to 6x9" added 1.5 in red strips to both sides and the top of the blocks. then sewed a 6x9" piece of fabric between the blocks to make the bottom. It should look something like this.

Layered pellon, batting and the fabric, then quilted it. Made a black lining 11.5x18.5. Next I folded the quilted piece right sides together and sewed down both sides, done the same with the lining. next I sewed box pleats in the basket and lining. Turned the basket right side out. Made handles, pinned them to the side of the basket. Slipped the basket (right side out) into the lining (wrong side out) sewing most of the way around, leaving and opening about 6' to turn the lining over the bag and into place. Last step to sew a seam all the way around the top of basket to close the lining.

6 comments:

  1. How cute is that!!! Very creative. Amazing what you can do with small pieces, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love your basket, great idea, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty! How many blocks did you use to make your basket? I am having trouble picturing this in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am going to add a pic of how the piece should go together. Then this is the piece you would quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you have joined the mini quilt in a bag swap. Your blog is really a fun one to navigate through. Your creativity is showing through too. One of these days i'll find out how to post a series of related step by step photos in this blog...Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE this! I've scheduled a link to this post to go live on my blog tomorrow morning (Central USA time). I hope it brings you a few extra clicks.

    Denise
    http://needlework.craftgossip.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your thoughts

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed